How To Find The Cheapest Flight Tickets Online
Have a dream Vacation in mind? Just want to get away here is the best way to do it and for a whole lot less then you would expect!
1. When You Search For A Flight Do It In Incognito
You’re not crazy for thinking that a flight price has changed after searching it a few times in your web browser. The cookies in your browser are spying on you. When a flight is searched multiple times the price does increase. As the site wants to scare you into booking the flight quickly before prices get even higher. Always search for flights in incognito or private browsing mode to see the lowest prices.
When you search in incognito the cookies are reset every time you search perventing the cookies from alerting the search engine of your choice.
2. Use The Best Search Engine
All flight search engines tack on a percentage that’s how they make money. Some search engines (e.g. Expedia) consistently inflate much higher than others (listed below). It pays to familiarise yourself with sites that offer the best prices.
Use These to Book
- Skyscanner (our #1 choice)
- Scott’s Cheap Flights (good at finding sale & error fares – see tip #6)
- Momondo (a broad search engine that sometimes shows cheaper fares than Skyscanner)
- AirWander ( awesome if you would like to extend layovers into stopovers to visit 2 destinations with 1 trip
- JetRadar (includes budget airlines, which many search engines don’t)
- Google Flights (good tool to quickly compare flight dates – not usually the best prices)
Most budget airlines appear in flight search engines of course that excludes Southwest. So if you want to be realy niftyjusearch the local budget airlines to.
Finally, no single search engine is consistently perfect (though we typically find the cheapest price on Skyscanner or Momondo). As such it helps to search on multiple search engines of course remember to use incognito.
3. Figure Out The Cheapest Day To Fly
Some are convinced always Tuesday, the truth is it depends on destinations. Business destinations cheaper on weekends, vacation spots obviously on weekdays.
If you’re flexible make sure to try the search by month option. Fly for free with points
4. Book With Boints
5. Know Your Local Budget Airlines
Budget airlines are significantly cheaper however don’t expect much in the way of legroom or refreshments. Did I mention the weight of your suitcase that to budget airlines can severely limit the amount of weight you can have in your suitcase and the price of extra weight can rise significantly.
Below is a comprehensive list of budget airlines around the globe.
A NOTE ON BOOKING BUDGET AIRLINES. Always read the fine print and do the following:
- Check the airport’s location often budget airlines fly out of smaller airports further out of town).
- Read the fine print. Check-in by some budget airlines if not done online will result in a hefty fee at the airport.
- Flair Airlines
- Air Canada Rouge
- WOW Air currently not flying
- Spirit Airlines cheap flights to right across the U.S. Niagra falls side
- Air Transat
- Southwest checkout their credit card sign up bonus
- Allegiant Air
- Spirit Airlines
- Sun Country Airlines
- WOW Air (cheap flights to Europe)
- Air Asia
- Tiger Air
- Jeju Air
- Hong Kong Express
- Scoot (owned by Singapore Airlines)
- Peach Air
- Dragon Air
- Spice Jet
- Spring Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
- Nok Air
- T’Way Airlines
- Vanilla Air
- Iberia Express
- Aer Lingus
- Aigle Azur
- Wow Air
- Norwegian Air ( Awesome rates for flying between Europe/North America, North America, and the Caribbean)
- Wizz Air
Use Social Media
Use Twitter, Facebook, or regularly check budget airline webpages specials.
Many of these budget airlines have their own airline rewards credit cards, and most of them offer a major signup points bonus.
6. Airline Error And Sales
Airlines sometimes make mistakes when posting their fares, leading to seriously discounted flights. This can happen for various reasons – currency conversion mishaps, technical glitches, or human error. If you’re in the know-how on where to find airline error fares, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars on a ticket.
One of the most popular sites for tracking sale and error fares is Scott’s Cheap Flights (or if you’re in the UK, check out Jack’s Flight Club). The website has a dedicated team that scours the internet for flight deals every day. You will have to sign up
Other sites like Secret Flying are great resources to stalk for finding mistake and sale pricing, as they conglomerate slashed ticket rates all in one spot. You can also read our detailed how-to guide which spells out how to find mistake fares on your own.
One great approach is to search for flights for an entire month using Skyscanner. This will allow you to easily spot a significantly reduced fare against what’s displayed that month and has twice helped us stumble on error fares ourselves.
7. Book Connecting Flight Yourself And Kiwi That Will Do It For Your
If your destination involves a transfer, say from New York to Australia which typically involves Canada to LA, then LA to Australia. It may be cheaper to book these two legs separately on your own as 2 separate tickets.
Do not book layovers that are hours apart if they are not partner airlines the second airline bare no responsibilty to put you on another flight. If your suitcase is delayed let me wish you goold luck!
The one exception is when booking with Kiwi.com, which at times offers their own guarantee on making sure suitcases get to the transfer flight.
Kiwi.com also actualy mixes and matches different airlines in their search engine and will actually make a flight connection suggestion that may not be a partner airline. They do offer and a guarantee of their own if your flight is delayed or your luggage is not taken off the plane in time for the connection flight. Read their policy and fine print.
8. Find A Cheap Destination
Kiwi.com is just the greatest for this punch in your location and then hit anywhere and off you will go.
10. Hidden Ticket Destination
Sometimes a flight that connects in a city you want to go to is cheaper than flying directly to it. So instead, you book that cheap flight that connects in your desired city and hop off there.
It should go without saying this is risky for many reasons. Here are some factors to consider:
- If your luggage is checked, it may go on to the final destination. For this reason, with hidden city ticketing it’s best to have carry-on luggage only.
- You may not be allowed off the plane (if the same plane is continuing onward to its final destination).
- Airlines may detect that you did not take your connection. The consequences of this are hard to say, especially since people miss flights all the time.
There is now a web search engine that finds hidden-city tickets. It’s called Skiplagged!
11. Buy Flights In Bulk
As a general rule, you will get better value on your flight tickets if you buy more at the same time, but only if they are with the same airline, or airlines in the same alliance (e.g. Star Alliance). For example, flying a return ticket from New York City to London with United Airlines will be cheaper than 2 one-way tickets.
You can also take advantage of this on multi-city flights. For example, Virgin Atlantic has routes from New York City to London, London to Shanghai, and Shanghai to New York City. If you book all these at the same time using the multi-city search function on Skyscanner, you’ll save some serious cash.
Another way to bulk buy flights for less is with round the world tickets and regional passes. or around the world pass ultimate guide to round the world tickets.
All this said, sometimes a few separately booked flights with budget airlines is still cheaper than what partner airlines can offer.
12. Find Out If There Is Realy Local Airlines
While the above search engines are great, they do not always include small airlines, especially in less popularly booked routes and/or in remote regions. If you’re flying somewhere obscure, ask the locals and hotel deal there might be a local unlist airline.
13. If You Know Where Your Going Book Early
Rarely ever do airline tickets get cheaper as your departure date approaches, especially if you need to fly on a certain date. Budget airlines typically offer low rates as a baseline price, and as these tickets sell, the remaining ones increase in cost.
14. Check To See If Its Cheaper In Other Currencies
Before booking a flight, check to see if the rate is cheaper when paid in another currency. Budget airlines will often make you pay in the currency of the country you’re departing from. Of course, be wary which credit card you use some cards have very high international currency exchange fees. Read Best Debit Card When Traveling To Israel And Abroad for more info.
Other Articles You Will Like Your First Credit Card What You Should Know,
Thanks for reading How To Find The Cheapest Flight Tickets Online if you like our posts please share it!